Published on August 16th, 2013 | by James Maxwell0
Friday Night Indie Game Round-Up #8
It’s Friday once again and that means it’s time for another Indie Game Round-Up here at SGD. Indie devs have been doing a wonderful job of putting out some top notch games lately, and I’ve tried to get as many of their games on this list as I could. I’m sure there will be at least a few titles that will pique your interest, so scroll down and see what this weeks indie picks are.
A Snail’s Tale from NSX Studios
A Snail’s Tail is an epic endless journey that follows a melancholy snail (named Snaily, of course) through an absolutely stunning world. You must use the game’s touch screen controls to clear a path for little Snaily so he can make it as far into the world as far as he can. Life is certainly tough for a snail!
- Endless gameplay!
- Fantastic music!
- Multiple environments!
- Beautiful graphics!
- Great for all ages!
Try your hand at this unique and gorgeous endless style game for the great low price of FREE from Google Play.
Attracted from LookAtMeGame
Attracted is a new physics-based puzzle game that makes use of intuitive intuitive touch controls and unique gameplay to make it stand out from the crowd. You will be doing what you can to help the coconauts that have become lost in space by directing them to a black hole (which in reality is a bit confusing…I’ve heard black holes would do some nasty stuff to the human body!). By touching the screen the coconauts will be attracted to the location that you touch, and you’ll use these controls to avoid dangers and move obstacles. It’s an easy concept to learn, but new gameplay elements and challenges make this a game that will take some skill to really master.
- 36 Levels
- Advanced Physic Mechanism
- Easy and fun to play
- Challenging levels
You can download Attracted for free off of Google Play, or if you’d like to remove the in-game ads you can buy the premium version for just $1.o9.
The Crazy Program from Sokay.net
The Crazy Program is a new and unique match-3 action puzzler that has been released by Sokay.net. You are going to be taking control of Shermy the monkey, a mischevious monkey that is trying to clear a dastardly glitch from the spaceship’s computer system. To do this you will need to build combos and survive as long as you can. Are you quick enough to get the spaceship’s computer back in running order?
- Classic addicting Gameplay
- Compete with Facebook high scores
- Vibrant artwork and characters
- Pulse-pounding soundtrack
The Crazy Program is free-to-play so head over to Google Play right now and check this crazy program out.
Delta-V Racing from Spacehopper Studios
Delta-V Racing is a gorgeous new futuristic racer that is considerably different than other games you’d expect to find in this genre. Since the beginning of time (well, beginning of gaming time I suppose) this style of game has been played from a 3D perspective. However, the devs over at Spacehopper Studios came up with the genius idea of changing the gameplay so that you’re playing from a 2D side-scrolling perspective instead. This unique twist really stands out as something different, but it still successfully keeps the core elements that have made the 3D classics so popular.
See this unique futuristic racer in action: Delta-V Racing Launch Trailer
- Google Play Game Services achievements and leaderboards.
- Cloud saving. Uses your Google+ ID to keep your progress across multiple devices.
- Race against friend’s Ghosts in all 36 events – watch them crash and burn!
- 4 tournaments split across 36 events, all with multiple routes to victory.
- 7 distinct event types including Race, Elimination, Collector, Time Trials…
- 8 awesome offensive and defensive power ups (Cannon, Spread, Laser, Mine, Missiles, Force Field, Boost, Phase Shift.
- Work your way through 8 unique ships, each with different performance, defence, and loadout capabilities.
- Advanced AI that is just waiting for you to slip up.
- Precise controls that have been designed from the ground up for touch screens.
- A totally original, thumping soundtrack by (UK Industrial Breakbeat legend) DeathBoy.
- Get that quick adrenaline fix or settle in for a full-on, nerve fraying session.
- High definition graphics for tablets
Download this fantastic futuristic racer with a twist for the surprisingly low price of just $0.99 on Google Play.
Expander from All Civilized Planets
Expander is a fast-paced reaction game that is anything but simple. The thing that makes this game stand out as something truly unique is that it really challenges you to take risks. You will be collecting stars that have been placed precariously around the level, and to get them you’re going to have to lift, stretch, and shrink your colored block. These puzzles are sure to boggle the minds of even the best puzzle game fans.
If you’re looking for a unique puzzle game filled with a good amount of challenge you really shouldn’t pass up on Expander. This gem can be yours for just $1.36 on Google Play.
FireFly from PhantomFox Games
FireFly is a stunning new action puzzler with a real cinematic feel to it. You will be using the game’s intuitive touch controls to direct your little firefly through 50 hectic stages that are filled with all sorts of deadly obstacles. These 50 levels are split up over five unique and mysterious worlds; each with it’s own gorgeous color palette, as well as their own obstacles and enemies to look out for.
- 50 Levels across 5 Unique zones
- Tons of diverse and interesting enemies and obstacles
- Rich, constant gameplay value
- Further support from the devs to add new levels, obstacle, worlds, and more!
Download this atmospheric action-puzzler from Google Play for the low price of $1.61.
Fox 3: Jet Fighter Pursuit 3D from 2Beans Apps
Fox 3: Jet Fighter Pursuit 3D is an endless ‘runner’ with an aerial twist. You are put in command of fighter jet that is in fresh pursuit of an enemy plane. Using your F/A-18 Super Hornet jet through a treacherous canyon at break-neck speeds with your goal being to blast the enemy out of the skies. Along the way you will collect power-ups to help you out on your mission, and coins that are used to upgrade your plane. Once you get in range of the enemy you’ll be able to launch an advanced guided air-to-air missile to eliminate your target.
See this unique endless ‘flyer’ in action: Fox 3: Jet Fighter Pursuit 3D Trailer
- Bright, crisp high definition 3D graphics
- Diverse environments
- Simple swipe controls
- Collect coins and buy upgrades for a tactical advantage
- Experience the thrill of a fighter jet chase!
This unique endless runner was originally released for $0.99 but was just recently dropped down to free, which means there is no better time to download than now! Fly over to Google Play and download Fox 3: Jet Fighter Pursuit 3D for free.
Galactic Fighter from Born Free Software
Galactic Fighter is a free spaceshooter that puts you in control of your very own upgradable spaceship that you will be using to defend your home from evil space invaders. Along the way you will be collecting credits from destroyed spacecraft which can be used for adding new weapons, shields, and other upgrades to your ship. Galactic Fighter is fast paced with short stages which makes this game perfect for a quick pick-up-and-play gameplay session. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the most important thing about this game…. it is a real blast to play!
- Over 40 distinct levels spread across 5 stages
- 20 powerful weapons to unlock
- 19 enemies types to destroy
- 6 engines to make your ship fly faster
- 5 different ways to power up your ship
- 5 different shields generators
While Galactic Fighter might not be the prettiest space shooters ever released it is one of the most enjoyable available on Google Play. Galactic Fighter is completely free (that means no IAP’s either!), so blast over to Google Play and download this intergalactic gem right away.
Mage from Plus Int Studios
Mage is a new action-platformer that takes a good amount of influence from the best retro games ever made; the most notable ones being Castlevania and Metroid. In Mage you take control of a young wizard that has been possessed by an ancient evil wizard named Daos. You will be taking your mage on a quest through dangerous dungeons while he gets pelted with insults from Daos, which makes for a very humorus storyline. This combined with the awesome retro gameplay definitely make this a game that gamers looking for a kick of nostalgia simply can’t pass up.
See this great Metroidvania title in action: Official Mage Trailer
- Hours of action-adventure gameplay
- Amusing Story Line and interesting boss battles
- Fantastic magical spells
- A difficult Challenge Mode
- Tricky achievements to unlock
- Metroid/Castlevania Styled Gameplay
You can get your hands on this fun retro throwback for just $0.99 on Google Play!
Retro Runners from Countryside Games
Retro Runners is a great new endless runner from the two man Brazilian developer Countryside Games. The game puts you in the shoes of one of 10 unique runners that is in the hurdle race of a lifetime. You will find yourself on an endless three-laned hurdle track that is filled with a wide variety obstacles; like hurdles, other racers, swimming pools, and even delivery trucks! A few of the unique gameplay elements found in Retro Runners include having to collect water bottles from fans to keep your energy bar full, and you’ll have to avoid the paparazzi on the side of the track who whill blind you with their camera flashes. Retro Runners also sports a fantastic retro-inspired voxel art style that really has to be seen in action!
- 10 incredible characters with unique skills and features!
- Endless race! How long can you survive?
- Complete the missions to earn coins and unlock characters!
- Compete for the online rankings using your Google+ account!
- Run away from the paparazzi!
Retro Runners is available as a free download on Google Play, but if you want to remove the ads it will cost you a mere $0.99 through an in-app purchase.
Run, My Deer from Up Side Down Deer Games
Run, My Deer is a gorgeous new mash-up of the classic platformer and runner genres. The game is completely free – which means there wont be a single IAP for you to worry about. That means everyone who plays will be on a level playing field, and the players skill level will be adaquetly represented on the games global leaderboards. Oh, I almost forgot to mention – this game is stunning! It sports a unique art style that really makes it stand out from other games in the genre.
- Unique art style
- Random generated levels
- 2 gameplay mechanics
- 3 worlds
- 4 types of enemies
- 6 unlocking upgrades
As stated above Run, My Deer is completely free for you to download off of Google Play. So run over there and download this unique runner right away.
R.Y.B. Squares from m.LUK
R.Y.B. Squares is new ‘match-3’ style of puzzle game that changes things up a bit. You will be trying to create the longest row or column that you can by transforming your squares from one color to the other. The colour that will appear is determined by the inside of the blocks you match, so you’re going to have to think ahead if you want to make your next transform a big one! The more squares you manage to clear means the higher the level you’re going to achieve. Just beware, you only have a certain number of transforms at your disposal – so you better make them count!
R.Y.B. Squares is a free download on Google Play, so there’s no reason to pass this up. The game has a great color palette that is a joy to look at, and the gameplay is something new for the match-3 genre. This is a must try game for any puzzle gaming fan.
Sir Octopus from Wooden Sword Games
Sir Octopus is a game that starts out once Sir Octopus puts down his evening paper and heads off to the kindergarten to pick up his children at the request of Lady Octopus. This sounds like an easy task, right? Well, you’d think that, but you’d be very wrong! The Octopus family has more than its fair share of octopus children, and using some unique puzzle gameplay you’re going to have to wrangle them all up before you can head back home. Can you help Sir Octopus bring all of his little scamps back home?
See this unique puzzler in action: Sir Octopus Trailer
- Funny 2D puzzles that make you engage three-dimensional thinking;
- Enjoy 17 characters and 9 unique game elements;
- 69 incredible levels;
- 3 level packs;
- Thoroughly tuned level design to let you feel triumph when you solve every following level;
Head over to Google Play right now and download this awesome puzzler for FREE!
Trial By Survival from Nah-Meen Studios
Trial By Survival is a new top-down post-apocalyptic action RPG that has just been put out by the indie developer Nah-Meen Studios. The game takes place in a desolate world long after civilization as we know it has collapsed. You’ll be directing your character through lush destructible environments, while searching for resources that are essential for your survival. You will scavenge ammunition and supplies from other characters, build and level your weapons, and enhance your character through an in depth perks system. Craft your character around the gameplay style that suits you best though, as the game has implemented a rogue-like perma-death system.
See this game in action: Trial By Survival Trailer
- Multiple Game Modes – Survival Mode and Arena Mode
- Procedurally generated map – every game is unique
- Destructible environments – Break down walls, blow up cars, set the world on fire
- Move freely around randomized levels, fighting through indoor and outdoor encounters
- Scavenge loot from real life players around the world
- Glitch the dog will help defend you, fetch things for you and keep you company
- Build and level up over a dozen unique weapons
- Customize your playing style with a character enhancing Perk system
- Great Comic/graphic art style
- Dual Stick or Drag/Tap Controls
This s a post-apocalyptic action RPG looks amazing, and surprisingly it is available as a free download on Google Play. Download this game right now!
When Ian Fell In The Machine from The Bumpkin Brothers
When Ian Fell In The Machine is a game about Ian who has fallen into a machine after being lured onto a trap door by the promise of a free sausage. At first glance you might expect WIFITM to be just a run-of-the-mill ‘falldown’ game, but what you get is something that is much more. The best way to describe the game would be to call it a platforming game with ‘falldown’ mechanics and controls. You tilt your device from side to side while trying to get as deep into the machine as you possibly can. Along the way you’re going to have to look out for deadly traps, such as spinning blades of death, laser beams, and even a rain of deadly butcher knives! Collect coins to buy upgrades that will help you get further and further into the depths of this deadly machine.
See When Ian Fell In The Machine in action: WIFITM Gameplay Trailer
- Google Game Play achievements and leader boards. Challenge your friends to see who is the master head roller.
- Three levels of difficulty. Each with its own tricks and surprises. Can you master them all?
- Upgrade Ian with new clothing and equipment to help you get further.
- Heads, spikes and sausages! All in one game.
- All future updates will be free!
When Ian Fell In The Machine is one of the most enjoyable games I have played in a while. The simple yet well executed concept and gameplay work perfectly to make for a truly engaging and addictive experience. This will be one of the best game’s you are likely to find this year. Download it today for just $0.99 on Google Play.
SGDjames’ Top 3 Picks of the Week:
When Ian Fell In The Machine
Trial By Survival
Do you want to see your game posted in one of our weekly round-ups? Shoot me an email at [email protected] or follow me on Twitter: @SGDjames