Published on October 4th, 2013 | by James Maxwell1
Friday Night Indie Game Round-Up #15
It’s Friday again? Wow. This week just flew by! I hope it was quick for you too, and at least this round-up indicates that it is finally the weekend! Do you have any big plans? If not (or even if you do) we have a great list of indie games for you all to check out. There are some real gems this week, so be sure to check them out. Also, vote for your favorite in the poll at the bottom of the page!
Beekyr: Eco Shoot’em Up from Kaleido Games
Beekyr is a new bullet-hell shooter with a stunning 16-bit graphics style from the indie developer Kaleido Games. The game gives you control of a gun-toting bee that’s on a quest to avenge his queen and hive from the nasty wasp queen and her murderous soldiers. You will be flying through some gorgeous bug-themed environments including fields, trees, forests, and caves, and you will also be blasting away at nasty bugs like wasps, hornets, spiders, flies, mosquitoes, and even praying mantis’. Who knew that being a bee was so dangerous?
- Fun gameplay
- Beautiful HD scenarios
- Fun 16 tracks of music
- 23 (4 secret) levels
- Cool bosses
- Several level types
- 6 difficulty levels
- Future implementation of global leaderboards
- …and more!
Fans of bullet-hell shooters really can’t pass up Beekyr. It available for just $1.14 on Google Play, and there’s even a demo available for those that are not entirely sold yet.
C. Kane from Super Walrus Games
C. Kane is a turn-based RPG that returns the genre to its most basic elements. You will be fighting monsters, talking to people, and playing dress up. The graphics in the game have a great minimalistic-retro feel to them and the whole world is displayed through a unique monochrome art style. An important change that the developers have changed from the classics in the genre is it’s removal of a random battle system. However, C. Kane still has a tonne of bosses for you to dispose of. C. Kane also sports a wicked hip hop soundtrack to round out the game as a truly unique experience. So get ready for battle and head out to save the world from the Dark Wizard Gettys.
C. Kane is a retro turn-based RPG that fans of the genre shouldn’t miss out on. The unique art style and fun gameplay make this stand out as something completely unique. Best of all it is only $1.02 on Google Play.
Chiptune Runner from Evil Indie Games
Like other musically themed platformers, the action in Chiptune Runner is synchronized with head bobbing synth tracks that will have players grooving to the beat in sequence with gameplay on screen. Unlike other games of that type you aren’t doing the running per-say. Instead players will help their chosen avatar make his/her way through psychedelic death runs by actively building the levels track and clearing away obstacles by tapping with their finger. This interesting design choice adds a whole new dynamic to the genre and makes Chiptune Runner feel like a wondrous mashup of Super Meat Boy, Bomberman, and Bit.Trip Runner.
- Music endless runner
- Real time chiptune music creation
- Built-in step sequencer
- Over 30 unique levels and more in updates
- 4 game modes
- Epic boss fights!
- In-game level editor
- Online levels sharing
- New heroes to unlock
- Chiptune music instruments to collect
- More things soon in updates!
Chiptune Runner’s unique gameplay and wealth of content make it one of the best Android runners in recent memory. Grab it off of Google Play for just $1.99.
Fox Tales: The Skeleton King from Won-O-Soft
Fox Tales: The Skeleton King follows the tale(no pun intended!) of an adorable yet foolhardy young fox named Kizu who has a penchant for getting himself into trouble. One fateful night he hears the screams of a damsel in distress and so he blindly charges into the woods after her not knowing that a spooky cadre of zombies, ghosts, and werewolves all guard the dungeon of the Skeleton King were she is being held. Since fox’s aren’t as strong or menacing as the walking dead, Kizu will have to make use of his speed to dash around the stage avoiding confrontations at all costs and sneaking in quick hits to fell his otherworldly opponents when combat is unavoidable. Fox Tales has a ton of personality and this sets it apart from other stealth games on the market. While the gameplay does start out simple with a fairly straightforward sneaking mechanic, enemies will quickly evolve and force players to continuously upgrade Kizu with new abilities and better stats.
- Cute Cartoony graphics
- Lots of catchy tunes
- Challenging game play
- Unique stamina system
- 30 levels with 3 different themes/environments
- 2 difficulty settings
- Google Game Service Integration
- Online Leaderboards
A gorgeous stealth action adventure with personality to spare, Fox Tales: The Skeleton King is available now on Google Play. The game’s first chapter is free to play with the second and third chapters unlockable through an IAP.
Galaxy Traders from Lai Mobile Games
Galaxy Traders is a fun new strategy game from Lai Mobile Games that is easy to learn but requires some real skills to master. Your goal in Galaxy Traders is to pay off your student loan via excursions you make with your handy-dandy space ship. What you do is all up to you, and you can travel to different planets, buy and sell goods in order to earn a profit, or you can take your ship into battle and reap your cash rewards that way. Galaxy Traders is a game that requires strategy and cunning if you want to succeed in your adventure across the universe. Will you be able to make enough money to pay off this pesky student loan?
- Play as one of the game’s two heroes: Galaxy and Breaker.
- Select from four game lengths: 180, 240, 300, and 360 days.
- Travel between different planets to buy and sell goods and earn enough money to pay off your loan. What happens after you are debt-free? Continue to make as much money as you can!
- Engage in combat with enemy space ships, but beware – although the rewards for winning are great, the penalty for losing can be even greater.
- Spend your earnings and purchase powerful upgrades for the space ship such as stronger weapons, more shields, extra cargo space, and more!
- Return to school and recruit your classmates for help! That’s right, our heroes don’t have to do this alone. Have them bring along their friends to help.
- Pick between multiple character traits at the start of every new game. Traits will modify parts of the game play. You can change the way you play the game depending on the combination of traits you select. Well-planned usage of traits can give you a big advantage!
- Earn Hat Tokens at the end of every game, spend your tokens and collect up to 30 different hats for our heroes to wear!
- Zero ads! Play the game without the annoyance of popups and banners.
This unique strategy-esque space drama is available for just $1.99 on Google Play.
KittyCatch from Mosquitosoft
KittyCatch is the story of an intrepid group of kitties who have been cruelly abandoned by their little girl owner who’s tied them to balloons and set them afloat. Luckily, kitties have a great sense of direction so all they need to do is ride the winds back home so they can tell on her. Unfortunately for our furry protagonists, they’ll first have to cross vast oceans teeming with deadly sharks, avoid being eaten by lions in the Serengeti, and survive all sorts of other preposterously dangerous situations. You will swipe, slash, and poke away the vicious predators that want to have these kittens for lunch. However, as you progress in your journey the kittens themselves will start fighting back by picking up shotguns, dousing enemies in liquid nitrogen, and zooming away to safety on a high powered jetpack.
A hilariously entertaining action hybrid with its tongue held firmly in cheek, KittyCatch is a new kind of swipefest every gamer should check out. It’s available now on Google Play as both an ad-supported and a paid version for $.99.
Loot Runner from Triple Dot Games
Loot Runner is a unique multi-tasking runner that puts you in control of two loot hungry individuals; Shorty and Slim. You control this duo’s fate by switching their paths to avoid and break through five unique obstacles in the dynamically generated world. You will gather coins in order to multiply your score, but more importantly you are going to be collecting the dynamically spawning loot. Each character is able to equip up to 3 pieces of loot at once, and there are over 240 different combinations to be found. Loot Runner’s innovative flip on the runner formula will put your multi-tasking skills to the ultimate test.
- Dynamically generated world.
- Customizable characters with 240 possible loot combinations.
- Fast paced multi-tasking action with 5 unique obstacles.
- Dynamically spawning loot.
- A fluid difficulty that raises the challenge as you get better.
- Challenge your high score and raise your game.
Loot Runner is available for a mere $1.00 on Google Play. So what are you waiting for? Flip over and get lootin’!
Mazes & Monsters from Monster Robot Studios
Monster Robot Studios, the indie developer best known for its fan favorite side-scrolling action-RPG Heavy Sword has just released an epic action adventure game onto Google Play called Mazes & Monsters. Mazes & Monsters is an isometric adventure game that draws inspiration from all corners of the gaming map for a satisfyingly deep experience that cranks the nostalgia meter up to eleven. You play as the famed “Hero Of Destiny” and it’s up to you to rid a magical land of ferocious monsters that plague its peaceful townsfolk and the surrounding countryside. You will explore dungeons, fight monsters, and collect a multitude of treasures! As you progress deeper into your quest you’ll gather new weapons and items that will help you along the way. If you don’t feel like questing there are a wide variety of different mini-games (such as fishing) that will keep you entertained for hours on end.
This gorgeous retro throwback is available for the insanely low price of $0.99. Slash your way on over to Google Play right now and get started on this nostalgic adventure right away!
Mosaique from Winning Blimp
Mosaique is a gorgeous puzzle game that consists of just seven levels that can be easily completed in the time it takes for sunlight to reach the Earth. You will arrange and clear tiles of matching color and try to beat each level and discover the hidden depths of this overly addictive puzzle game. The game sports a gorgeous minimalistic style and gameplay elements that are easy to learn but strategic enough to keep even the best players more than adequately challenged.
- Algorithmically generated levels. Different each game!
- Play as you please. Mosaique gives back only as much strategic challenge as you put in.
- No time limits. It’s a game, not a test.
- 10 minute original soundtrack to help you slip away.
- Elegantly designed interface and visual experience. Immerse yourself!
- Shake the game and watch the sand-filled tiles float around in an anti-gravitational field!
Grab this gorgeous puzzler for just $0.99 on Google Play.
Porogi from FM Projects
Porogi is and oldschool arcade game with a modern twist. You control a small space ship just like you would in any vertical space shooter. However, that’s where the similarities end. Rather than destroying the enemy you will be doing your best to avoid red lasers and collect green ones. By building combos you will earn money that can be used to upgrade your ship and buy power-ups that will make earning an unbeatable high score just that much easier.
- Easy to learn, Hard to master: just right/left drag the ship and start your journey!
- Collecting money and upgrading your powerups is the key to reach higher and higher scores!!
- How far can your ship go? =)
- Challenge your friends’ highscores! Just sign in with your Google account and try to unlock all the Achievements!
if you’re looking for a modern take on a retro gaming experience you really need to check out Porogi. It can be yours for just $1.48, or you can get a taste of the action by downloading the Lite (demo) version of the game.
Rising Empires from Hellhound Interactive
Rising Empires is an epic 4x turn-based strategy game that takes place in a fantasy world that is divided in two levels; the Surface and the Netherworld. This world is inhabited by six different races (Elves, Humans, Ende, Greenskins, Krant, and Dwarves) that are constantly at war with each other. In Rising Empires you have access to a large technology tree and a wide array of buildings that will help you raise your army and start a war against the other empires. Some have described Rising Empires as a game similar to classic strategy games like Civilization and Total War.
Features (Premium Version):
- Six playable races, all with unique abilities making for very different game experiences
- Two levels with cave openings to enable movement between them
- All empires design their own troop types and give them abilities that suit their playing style
- Play quick games with only two empires or long epic ones with up to 8 empires
- An advanced combat system to battle it out with the different troop types
- A well developed technology tree
Fans of classic strategy games really need to give Rising Empires a serious look. It’s in depth and challenging gameplay make it one of the best in the genre on Android. Check out the free version or download the premium version for $3.99 on Google Play.
Sir! I’d Like To Report a Bug from Lord Puggington Games
Sir! I’d Like To Report A Bug is a comical 2D platformer that has obviously been influenced by retro games of the past. The game sports amazing pixel art visuals, a fantastic chip tune soundtrack, and a challenging level of difficulty akin to classic platformers. The story revolves around Reggie, an average, couch potato QA Tester that a is trying to save the world from a new prototype technology that has just gone all screwy. You must jump and dodge your way through this game as you’re just an average guy with no real special abilities. You don’t have a blaster arm, super strength, or high tech armor, but you’re still expected to overcome deadly obstacles like killer cars, lava floors and even men in bodysuits! Do you have what it takes to return the world to a (somewhat) level of normality?
- Classic hard-as-nails 2D platformer gameplay for mobiles
- Very shiny pixel art, look at how beautiful it is!
- A raving, chiptune inspired soundtrack. Turn that volume up!
- Controls for mobile – on screen buttons or no buttons? We have both!
- Each level is unique thanks to the army of bugs blowing up the world!
- Jam packed with humour and references
- Challenge mode for those that fancy more fun for free
- The only game to ever feature flying old people, bouncing buildings and a level based on Eiffel 65’s “Blue (Da Ba Dee)”
- Like what you played? Donate to use and help us create more content for everyone to enjoy!
This totally bizarre challenging platformer is a completely free download on Google Play. The addictive gameplay, fantastic retro style, and crazy storyline make Sir! I’d Like To Report a Bug a must play game for all fans of challenging platformers.
Space Bunny Shooter from Mobile Dynamix
Space Bunny is a game that will have you running, jumping, and shooting your way through the depths of space if your quest to destroy the annoying Space Zombie Bunnies and collect the valuable Cosmic Carrots. The game takes some clear inspiration from the hugely popular The Need To Be Fed series, but I don’t see that as being a bad thing at all. Space Bunny sports some great visuals, fantastic controls, and hugely addictive gameplay that people of all ages will fall in love with. Best of all the game is completely free! That means absolutely no pestering ads and no annoying IAPs!
- 4 episodes and 39 missions
- Innovative nonlinear physics a la They Need To Be Fed game
- Amazing graphics
- Outstanding music and sounds
- 20+ minutes of addictively fun gameplay
- NO ADS
- More updates with new episodes and missions to come
Help Yuri to exterminate the dastardly space bunnies and collect all of the Space Carrots! If you’re a fan of The Need To Be Fed or are just looking for a hugely entertaining platformer you’ve got to check out Space Bunny Shooter. It’s free, so don’t pass it up!
Swipe Off from Sugarcube
Swipe Off is an exciting connect-em puzzler that gives you 60 seconds to match as many moving colored dots as possible. Getting hang of the gameplay is simple, but as you play more and more of it you will unlocked higher levels that bring with them brand-new game elements. You’ll get special dots that will help you earn a new high score like bomb, freeze, time and more. Swipe Off has also integrated Google Game Services perfectly into the game, which adds a lot to the overall addictiveness of the title.
Swipe Off is a free download on Google Play and I really suggest taking it for a test drive. The concept is simple but the gameplay is hugely addictive and will definitely entertain gamers both young and old for quite some time. Don’t miss out on this!
Do you have a game that you’d like to see in one of our weekly round-ups? Shoot me an email at [email protected] If you use Twitter follow me @SGDjames