Published on December 6th, 2013 | by Craig Forshey0
Friday Night Indie Game Round-Up #24
It’s been another great week for indie gaming on Android with a wide range of different titles having made their way to our tablets and phones in the past few days. In addition to some very unique original games appearing on the scene, this week also saw several hit titles who’ve found success on other platforms like OUYA, Playstation Mobile, and iOS make their way to Android. As the end of the year draws to a close we’ll start to see even more games coming out as December is usually a very popular month for releasing Android games.
As we do each week, we’ve put together a comprehensive list of this weeks best indie Android game releases for you to check out. Have fun playing these awesome games and make sure to vote for your favorite in the poll at the bottom of the page!
Ancient Cubes from Mark Moroz
Imagine Temple Run combined with Tetris and you’ll have a good idea of what Ancient Cubes is all about. This fast paced action puzzler will test both your wits and reaction time.
Danmaku Unlimited 2 from Doragon Entertainment
Modeled after classic Japanese shoot ’em ups like Ikaruga, Danmaku Unlimited 2 is a mind meltingly gorgeous assault on the senses filled with over the top bullet hell gameplay. Running in HD at 60 fps, Danmaku Unlimited 2 is definitely a looker.
- Authentic indie J-STG style action.
- Battle countless enemies as you fight across 5 beautiful, action-packed stages
- Weave and dodge against unique, exhilarating bullet patterns in epic multi-phase boss battles.
- Level up and outfit the powerful Senko fighter to suit your personal play-style!
- Unique innovative swipe controls built for a perfect mobile shooter experience.
- Music by the talented Japanese indie group BLANKFIELD
- 4 levels of difficulty
- Choose between 2 full-featured game modes
- Bonus features: Go for a challenge in the Boss Rush mode or practice your skills in the Free Play mode.
- Compete for international leader-board dominance on Google Game Service
- Tons of achievements to unlock!
- Adjustable screen-size and control sensitivity
- HD/SD mode available in one app
Critter Pop from Lockjaw Games
A physics style arcade puzzler, Critter Pop puts a new spin on the Angry Birds formula by introducing tons of crazy tools and throwing good guy bystanders in the mix. Rather than focus on wanton destruction players will need to carefully save the good guys while crushing the bad guys.
Fight Fight Zombanite! from MojoBox Games
With games like State Of Decay attempting to simulate the hardships of struggling to survive a zombie apocalypse, it was only a matter of time till we saw this phenomena come to Android and that’s the basic idea behind the addicting new strategy game Fight Fight Zombanite!. In addition to all the complexities of commanding a group of survivors who are defending a house against a ruthless horde of the undead other types of missions such as arcade style driving sequences help break up the monotony.
- Beautiful cartoon 3D graphics
- Randomly generated levels
- Over 12 crazy abilities from 8 unique survivors
- Incredibly varied mission types
- Over 50 levels of action packed Zombanite madness!
Kana Karate from AztecByte
Ever wanted to learn another language but never tried because it was too boring? Now there’s a fun way to become fluent in other tongues called Kana Karate and it’s Street Fighter 2 meets Rosetta Stone gameplay is sure to be a godsend for any language student.
- Complete hiragana and katakana dictionaries
- Kyoiku Kanji dictionary (full support with 1006 kanjis through IAP)
- Japanese dictionary (full support with 540 words through IAP)
- Spanish, French, German, Italian and Brazilian Portuguese dictionaries (full support with 1000 words through IAP)
- 10 opponent characters
- 7 stages
- Training mode
- 3 levels of difficulty
Knightmare Tower from Juicy Beast Studio
As one of the OUYA’s launch titles, Knightmare Tower was a huge hit on the micro console and quickly earned an excellent reputation for its twitch action gameplay. It brings this same frenzy of jumps and bad guys to the Android version so would be knights can get their fix on the go.
- Campaign and Survival modes
- 10 princesses to rescue, all daughters of the same King (yeah, even that last one)
- Tons of upgrades, including visually changing armors, swords and boots
- 1 epic boss battle
- 70 quests to complete
- 50+ different monsters to slice up
- 3 legendary monsters that can be summoned with special horns
- Giant bombs that blow apart every monsters around you
- Potions that make you super strong
- Rideable rockets
- Soundtrack by HyperDuck Soundworks (Scrolls, Dust: An Elysian Tail)
Microcosm from Morboo
This beautifully animated physics puzzler combines elements of Rayman and Angry Birds for an interesting new spin on the platforming genre. You’ll need precise aim in order to excel at Microcosm’s challenging gameplay.
Mighty Bots from East Side Games Studios
Part Monster Hunter, part Puzzle Fighter, Mighty Bots is a hardcore puzzler that focuses on one on one combat. Players pit their own tricked out robot warrior against one another as they pull off combos and turn their opponents to scrap.
Mystery Castle HD – Episode 2 from Runestone Games
The second installment in the fan favorite Mystery Castle series, Mystery Castle Episode 2: The Frozen Citadel follows up on the addicting puzzle gameplay concepts introduced in the original with more challenges and more surprises. Expect plenty of interesting new logic riddles in this puzzle adventure follow up.
- Designed both for new players and those that have played through other episodes.
- 36 stages of perilous fun!
- Explore frozen stages covered with ice and outwit the Ice Golems and Phantoms.
- Hint system to help players progress further.
- Humorous dialogue
- 4 bonus stages from Episode 1 – The Fortress Underground
- 4 bonus stages from Episode 3 – The Enchanted Tower
PilotLight from Copperpot Games
There have been many video game protagonists over the years, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game whose hero was a literal ball of flame. But that’s precisely what we get with the addicting new pixel platformer PilotLight. Fans of Super Meat Boy and other old school style platformers will love PilotLight’s race against the clock style gameplay.
Ravenmark: Mercenaries from Witching Hour Studios
The hit indie strategy game Ravenmark: Mercenaries has arrived on Android and it’s better than ever. Expect intense bouts of in-depth strategy and excellent animations through out.
Shuttle Quest 2000 from Thomas Hopper
Shuttle Quest 2000 is a retro themed hybrid of the RPG and shooter genres that harkens back to the golden days of mobile gaming when the Gameboy was king. This epic space opera tells the tail of a bitter intergalactic war wrought by an evil alien general named Xzarod that utterly destroys an elite space fighting force save for one lone hero who manages to flee the carnage in an experimental ship known only as Battle Shuttle. Battered and bruised, but not defeated, players take on the role of this lone hero as he travels the galaxy fighting General Xzarod’s forces and earning credits in order to trick out his ship with a mind-numbing array of different weapons and upgrades for the Battle Shuttle. When we reviewed Shuttle Quest 2000 back in August we gave it a 4.1 out of 5 calling it nostalgic, engrossing, and addicting.
- Play the whole game for free.
- Battle in 30 story missions over six chapters
- Fight 6 giant Megaship bosses
- Collect or buy resources and use them to craft new items
- Equip weapons and drones in one of thousands of combinations
- Meet all sorts of characters on ‘Shuttle Station 8’
- Play unlimited random missions with ‘Custom Flight Plans’
Stupid Human Castles from Spectragate
Ever played Tetris and thought to yourself, needs more zombies? That’s precisely what you get with the fiendish new combat puzzler Stupid Human Castles.
- Builds on the classic gameplay of Tetris.
- Tetris blocks have become monsters with special abilities, from Death Knights to Fire Demons.
- 10 levels to complete, each with their own unique predicament that must be solved.
- Full touch controls – Uses finger drag to move blocks left and right instead of tapping, allowing fast and precise movement.
- Play as the monsters against the (probably) evil humans.
- Monsters 😀
- Humans >:(
Swift from Phanatix Interactive
A surreal side scrolling shooter filled with intense action and groovy visuals, Swift is as fun to play as it is to look at. The different themed power ups are a real treat to behold.
- Use stylistic weapons to shoot down enemies
- Creatively strike down a variety of whimsical opponents
- Earn special power-ups for unique combo attacks
- Move around the screen freely with intuitive touch controls
- Endless side scrolling arcade action in easy, normal, or hard modes
ThunderRush from Thundershirt
Ever wanted to combine your love of animals with your addiction to video games? Now you can with the canine themed runner ThunderRush! All net proceeds from the sale of ThunderRush go to help animals in need.
Total Parking from TeaPot Games
There have been a few attempts at parking games on Android before, but the new true to life driving gameplay found in Total Parking is an impressive first. Total Parking uses real world physics and photo accurate car physics based on Ackermann steering geometry for a superior parking experience.
- Tilt and Touch controls for turning
- 3D HUD and smooth user interface
- An Immersive 3D environment
- Snappy Loading after the initial boot up of the game
- Integrated tutorial
- Achievements ( Can you be a Parking King? or get into the 7 Mile Club ? And many more )
Zombie Blitz from Headup Games
A more military focused tower defense game, Zombie Blitz pits humanities resistance army against the undead hordes in a desperate bid for survival. Use strategy and superior firepower to help bring an end to the zombie menace.
- Realistic HD graphics and effects with tons of animated on-screen characters
- 11 different weapons from airstrikes and proximity mines to nuclear blasts to defend your home against the zombie hordes
- Action-packed tower-defense gameplay
- Defend 5 continents with 12 levels each
- Become a Gold Member and get a bonus on each purchase
- Google Play Game Services Leaderboards & Achievements
Do you have a game that you’d like to see in one of our weekly round-ups? Shoot us an email at [email protected] If you use Twitter follow us @SGDjames